January 04, 2006

3 BALLS ARE BETTER THAN TWO

...That is if you're in a 3-ball tournament, like Todd will be tonight. I decided to write about the 3-ball tournament because ever since Mike Sherman got fired from the Packers on Monday, that's all that's been on TV. I'm afraid I'll end up missing Days Of Our Lives again because of him. So...I need to find something to occupy myself until then.

Every Wednesday night at our favorite bar at about 10:30, they start the 3-ball tournament. Every guy (or girl) who wants to get in has to throw a dollar on the pool table. Sometimes it's 8 people, sometimes it's 18...however many folks are there and interested, really. Instead of racking all the balls, like a regular game, they use only 3, and you try to get all 3 of them in the pockets in as few shots as possible.

It seems to me...just by being a spectator, that 4 shots seems fairly average (until players get really drunk), 3 happens, and I've only seen 2 shots happen 3 times. Todd got it in 2 once...I was so proud of him. Mmmmm, Todd playing pool. Sarah knows what I'm talking about. I'm sure some of you other ladies do too. I know it's happened that people have gotten all 3 in one shot, but I haven't seen it yet.

Anyway, while you're shooting, if your cue ball rolls back and lands on one of the dollars laying on the table, you have to throw another dollar down. If there are a lot of folks playing, there are a lot of dollars on the table to begin with, thus making a lot of opportunities to land on a dollar, and in turn, lots of money to win at the end of the game.

Now, the lowest score does not automatically win. Any time the lowest score is tied, the whole game starts over and you all have to throw another dollar in. Sometimes the game is started over several times, and the winner gets to collect all the dollars on the table. I've seen hundreds of dollars won.

It's pretty cool, anyway. That's what we'll be doing tonight.

I guess I'll just sit here and listen to Mike Sherman until 12:00.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home